Paper, paper and a whole lot of paper
Paper is a necessity in all offices. Without paper, no business would survive. The increase use of paper also increases clutter and waste. Paper is the necessary clutter we have in our offices. Studies show that an average office consumes more than 10,000 sheets of copy paper every year. Adding to all the usual clutter, our internal revenue agency requires all businesses to keep business records up to 5 years. That’s a lot of clutter! We need to think of ways to save paper in our offices.
It is advisable to move some of our documents online and going paperless. Some documents like 201 files, job offers and presentations can be moved online to save on space and reduce clutter. Moreover, storing most of your documents online give you the flexibility to access them anywhere with an internet connection. Let’s free ourselves of all clutter and paper waste. Here are some practical ways to save paper in the office.
Some simple ways to save paper in the office
- If possible, make it a habit to print on both sides of the paper. If you have papers that are already printed, recycle these papers by printing on the other side. You can also use them for photocopying documents.
- Use email to share documents around the office. Only print email when it is absolutely necessary.
- Use smaller fonts for your documents to save on copy papers. A two page 14 point font can be reduced to a single page 11 point font.
- Store documents online. There are a lot of online services available. There is Dropbox, Google Drive and Box. Storing documents online saves you space and makes your office clutter free. We personally use Google Drive for our online storage.
- If printing is absolutely necessary, edit the document first to reduce white space and decrease the font size. This allows you to print more text in a single page of paper instead of less text on multiple pages of paper.
These are simple and practical ways to save paper in the office. Some of you might be implementing this already. Let’s free ourselves from clutter!